Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Potty Time

OK. Moms, and anyone else out there willing to share brilliance. I need help.

Please share your potty training skills with me. I have been working on toilet training Corban for way too long. I gave up for a long time out of frustration. Maybe it is all my fault. I have tried too many things and not stuck with them. I don't know. I know he has special issues with how his adorable little mind works, but I need some ideas. He knows how to use to toilet. There has got to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I just can't see it. Maybe if I continue to leave it alone he will just use it when he is ready. But I am concerned he will just get more attached to the diapers.

Yesterday Izzy used the toilet, so that is a positive. I hope to get them both out of diapers by the summer's end. If that doesn't happen I may have to go on strike.

3 comments:

Becca said...

I'm at a loss. I wish I could help with this, but boys take forever to complete this process. Bribes don't work. Stubborn kids!

Michelle Cox said...

Timmy just turned FOUR and still has accidents. Sigh. I say, just relax. They will get it some day. They won't go to Kindergarten in diapers! We have a reward chart for Timmy. It's a path of numbers and he can move a smiley face along the path each day that he stays dry in a row. So, 3 days in a row and he got a matchbox car. Then keep going another 4 days in a row and get another one. Then go 7 days in a row, etc. We've told him that when he's all done potty training, we'll get him a bike. He's very excited for his bike, but still has accidents.

Just try to keep it to a sigh and nothing more when you clean up messes. Ask him if he wants diaper or big boy underwear. Eventually he will only want underwear. But, if Timmy has several accidents in one day, he has to wear and diaper and keep it dry to get underwear back.

He has been much harder to potty train than Caleb, but they all get there, so I just try not to fret too much.

Good luck!

Lynners said...

For us, we had all kinds of rewards and bribes, but ultimately we just had to "run out" of his diapers, and he did great after that.

I know you posted this a while ago, so I hope all is well and you don't need this advice. If you're still working at it, I wish you lots of good luck!