Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Grandma Velma

I have been thinking so much about my grandma Velma. Growing up, I was lucky to live near my Droubay grandparents. As a kid I got to see them countless times. My grandmother was such a infulence on me and my sisters growing up. She was there for birthdays-including the births of my kids, sick days, special days, normal days, wedding days, any days. We could call her up anytime and she would be there. My sisters and I are so blessed to have such a wonderful relationship with our grandparents. She is now enduring Alzheimer's. Such a ruthless disease. I am so happy I have many memories of her. She is still so great with my kids and sometimes caring for my kids is the only thing that keeps her from getting upset. It must be so confusing to forget who you are, to forget everything, but still live with the same people and have a routine you know nothing about. She is a remarkable woman.
I LOVE YOU GRANDMA!
"Alzheimer's disease is the most common type of dementia. Symptoms of Alzheimer's, including early-onset Alzheimer's, include problems with memory, judgment, and thinking, which makes it hard to work or take part in day-to-day life. As the stages of Alzheimer's progress, memory loss and other signs of Alzheimer's become more apparent. Many people find help with Alzheimer's drugs, but there is no cure for this form of dementia." WebMD Disease Overview

My darling grandpa and my mother have been working so hard to continue to keep her content and comfortable, and it sometimes isn't easy. There are many emotions, but she has been well cared for by my grandpa. What a beautiful example of devotion and love. Thank you Grandpa. I love you so much.


As a child and teenager I was also lucky to get some interaction with our great grandparents Paul, and to develope a relationship with Grandpa George, and I always wished I had a journal from Grandma Arlene. Though, she has been a huge influence by proxy, we learned about her from a young age, and felt the love she had for others through the stories we would hear. I love my family.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I appreciate your post about grandma. I have been thinking about a post of my own, but I haven't been able to organize my thoughts enough to make them public. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. Grandpa and Mom have done so much for Grandma the last few years. God bless them for it. God bless our sweet little G-ma!

Becca said...

Great tribute to a dependable, loving, sweet, smiling grandmother who never let any of us down!

Love the pictures you chose!

Connie said...

Such a nice tribute to your Grandma. She is a sweet lady. It's hard to see a loved one age...it's hard to age! It's good to see the love your Grandpa has for her. Such a good example.

Lynners said...

I LOVE the pic with you and your mom and grandma. Three beautiful very women! Your grandma is so lucky to have such nice things said about her.